Ofsted Requirements for Nannies
Ofsted have set mandatory criteria for Home Childcarers wishing to become registered. Once they have met the requirements, nannies and other Home Childcarers can voluntarily register through the Government Gateway website.
How to register
- Nannies will need to complete an online application through the Government Gateway website.
- It costs approximately £105 and needs to be renewed every year.
- Ofsted aims to process applications within 12 weeks.
- Ofsted have set mandatory criteria for Home Childcarers wishing to become registered.
- The applicant must fulfill all of the criteria before applying for Ofsted.
Paediatric First Aid
- Paediatric First Aid training differs from general First Aid training as it deals specifically with infants and children.
- It is an essential skill for anyone working with children.
- It costs appoximately £80-120, depending on training provider and course.
- The certificate remains vaild for 3 years.
- Once the cetficate expires a refresher course must be undertaken.
The Common Core Skills and Knowledge in Childcare
- This usually applies to a nanny who is relatively new to childcare and has had no formal training. There are various nanny training organisations around the country offering one-day courses.
- It costs appoximatley £50-150, depending on training provider and course.
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- This is a police and criminal records check which must be carried out to ensure the individual is safe to work with vulnerable members of society.
- The DBS replaced the former Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) in December 2012.
- It costs appoximatley £50-£60.
- A new check must be carried out every year.
- Nannies can sign up to the government update service to automatically renew their DBS every year.
Public Liability Insurance
- It costs appoximately £60-£80
- Public Liability Insurance provides essential cover for the nanny should anything happen to the children while they are in their care that they could be held responsible for
Nannyinsure is Nannytax's specialist public liability policy for nannies.Read more