arrow_upward arrow_upward
Brexit | Nannytax


How will Brexit affect Nanny Employers?

Following the government’s announcement on 29th of March 2017 triggering Article 50, Nannytax have put together a list of the top Brexit FAQs from nannies and nanny employers.

I'm an EU national working as a nanny in the UK. How does Article 50 affect me? add remove

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK (or UK nationals living in the EU) while the UK remains in the EU.

Following an agreement being reached to leave the European Union, further information will be provided on the status of EU nationals living and working in the UK. Currently, as a citizen of the EU or Switzerland, you have two options: If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years you can apply for a Registration Certificate. If you have lived in the UK for 5 years or more you can apply for a Permanent Residence Document.

Click here to read what the government says about UK residency after Brexit.

How do I keep updated on changes as they happen following the triggering of Article 50? add remove

You can sign up on the website for email updates on changes that could affect you and for more information on any steps that you may need to take to confirm your status in the UK after we leave the EU as part of Brexit.

My question isn't answered? add remove

Further information can be found on website, or if you are a European citizen you can call UK Visas and Immigration from inside the UK on 0300 123 2253, Monday-Thursday 9am-5pm and Friday 9am-4.30pm.

To contact UK Visas and Immigration from outside the UK, you can do this via their online form.

What documents do I need to confirm my right to work in the UK? How can Nannytax help with this? add remove

Under current EU law you don’t need a document to confirm your permanent residence status in the UK as an EU national. Nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA) can enter and work in the UK without restrictions.

We advise employers to check an ID document, such as a passport for example to confirm this (and visas where appropriate). After subscribing with Nannytax, employers have access to a comprehensive Employment Guide where we cover the Statutory Excuse and employing from overseas in more detail.

You will also be able to make use of our detailed Statutory Excuse Checklist to ensure you are making all the correct checks and taking copies of the necessary documents.

How do I check if I have the right to come and work in the UK? add remove

You can use the online checker on the government website to find out if you require a UK visa for working as a nanny in the UK and the next steps to take.

You might also be interested in

Statutory Excuse

As an employer, you must carry out the appropriate checks and gather the required documents that show your employee has the right to work in the UK.

Ways to Find a Nanny

Hiring a nanny is a more personal employment relationship than the norm. This makes it that extra bit important to find the right nanny for you and your family.

Find a Nanny with Nannytax

If you are looking to find your next nanny, we can help. We work with hundreds of specialist nanny agencies across the UK, who will help you to find your perfect candidate.