It’s not always possible to leave work early to meet your children at the school gates. That’s why many parents are now employing after school nannies. An after school nanny gives parents flexibility to commit to their work schedules with peace of mind that the children are in safe hands. Find out more about this popular part-time childcare option below.
What is an After School Nanny?
An after school nanny provides one to one childcare during the period of time between school finishing and the parents arriving home from work. Therefore, an after school nanny job can include school pick up, homework support, dinner and bed time preparation.
Many nannies will also organise the children for the next day such as preparing clean uniform and packed lunches. An after school nanny will usually work 4-5 hours, 5 days a week to align with the children’s post-school routine.
Benefits of an After School Nanny
• Children have a one-to-one child carer to fit their needs.
• Gives children flexibility to attend play dates and after school clubs.
• Parents can commit to their own work schedule knowing the children are in safe hands. However you must stick to the hours laid out in the contract and/or pay over time where due.
• More opportunity for parents to spend quality time with their children in the evenings. This is because an after school nanny will often ensure the children are organised for the next morning.
How much does an After School Nanny cost?
You can now find the average Gross nanny salary for part time nannies in your region using our Nanny Salary Index. These figures are based on a 25 hour working week.
How to find an After School Nanny near you
There are an abundance of nanny agencies, recruitment sites and nanny matching services that can help you find an after school nanny. Find a nanny agency near you using our Agency Directory. We also recommend you check out our trusted partner After School Nannies who have been delivering after school childcare in London since 2003.
What to consider when employing an After School Nanny
If you choose to hire an After School Nanny you will become an employer and must fulfil the necessary legal requirements. We recommend you check out our Nanny Employer Checklist but here is a quick summary:
A nanny employer must:
• Carry out legal checks to make sure the nanny has the right to work in the UK.
• Register as an employer with HMRC and set up a PAYE Scheme to declare tax and NI contributions.
• Hold Nanny Employers Liability Insurance such as Enable Insurance.
• Offer the nanny a pension scheme such as Enable auto enrol if applicable.
Nannytax and After School Nannies
Once you have found your after school nanny, we’ll take care of the rest.
We can provide you with a contract of employment, run the pay slips weekly/monthly, calculate your tax and deal with HMRC on your behalf. Plus we offer additional services to ensure pensions and insurance are covered too. With Nannytax you know the administration side of employing a nanny is taken care of and in safe hands.
You might also be interested in
Enable Limited is an Appointed Representative of Fish Administration Limited and authorised by them to sell liability insurance for nannies and their employers. Fish are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm Reference Number is 310172. Fish Administration Limited is registered in England and Wales. Company Registration Number 4214119. Registered Office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW.