If your nanny is absent from work due to sickness, you the employer are responsible for administering Statutory Sick Pay. This will be paid in replacement of their usual salary and cannot be claimed back from the Government.
Do nannies qualify for Statutory Sick Pay?
Nannies are entitled to receive Statutory Sick Pay from their employer as long as they:
- Are classed as an employee and have done some work for their employer.
- Have been ill for at least 4 consecutive days.
- Earn at least the Lower Earnings Limit.
- Inform their employer within 7 days or by their employer’s deadline (if they have one stipulated in the Employment Contract).
When might a nanny not qualify for Sick Pay?
If any of the circumstances below apply, then a nanny is not entitled to Statutory Sick Pay.
- If they have received the maximum amount of SSP (28 weeks).
- If they have taken 3 years or more ‘linked periods’ of sickness – where 4 or more days of sickness happen within 8 weeks of each other.
- If they are receiving Statutory Maternity Pay.
When is Statutory Sick Pay paid?
- SSP is not paid for the first three consecutive days of illness.
- These three days are known as ‘waiting days’ and any payment of salary to the nanny for these days is at the employer’s discretion.
- On the fourth consecutive day SSP is paid instead of, or as part of the nanny’s normal rate of pay, for up to 28 weeks.
- SSP is paid for the days the nanny would normally have worked.
How much is Sick Pay and how is it paid?
The 2020-21 rate of SSP is £95.85 gross per week.
SSP is paid in the same way as the nanny’s normal salary (weekly or monthly), a payslip is provided as normal and Tax and National Insurance will be deducted in the usual way.
Can an employer reclaim SSP?
No, as of 2015 employers are no longer able to reclaim SSP from the government. The SSP amount must come out of the employer’s pocket.
Nannytax and Statutory Sick Pay
As part of your Nannytax subscription, your can use our Employer’s Members Area to report sickness. The payroll team will reflect the sick pay on the payslips so you’ll know exactly how much you need to pay your nanny over the sickness period. If you ever need further advice or guidance through the process of sick leave, we’re here to lead the way.
If you would like to know more about nanny sick pay please don’t hesitate to contact us or alternatively you can get going straight away and set up your nanny payroll now.