What is a Workplace Pension and Automatic Enrolment
It is a new law which requires all employers, including nanny employers to provide a pension for their qualifying employees. Your nanny, you as the employer and the government contribute to your nanny’s pension.
Do nannies qualify for a workplace pension?
- If your nanny is aged between 22 and the State Pension Age and earns above £10,000 per annum they will qualify and will need to be automatically enrolled.
- You can work out when your nanny will reach State Pension Age by using the Government's State Pension Age Calculator.
- If your nanny is automatically enrolled they can opt-out if they wish to not take part.
- If your nanny does not qualify to be automatically enrolled they still have the right to join a Workplace Pension.
When will Workplace Pensions (Auto Enrolment) affect nanny employers
All UK employers now have to offer a workplace pension for an employee as soon as they begin working for them.
Autoenrolment was introduced gradually to employers, please see the details below:
- Your nanny started before October 2016, then you are more likely to be providing a pension for your nanny or about to start.
- Your nanny started between October 2016 and June 2017 then 1 January 2018 is the date you have to start providing a pension.
- Your nanny started between July 2017 and September 2017 then 1 February 2018 is the date you have to start.
- Your nanny will start after 1st October 2017 then you will have to provide a pension for your nanny from the start
The costs of Automatic Enrolment for nanny employers and nannies
Below is a table that illustrates the minimum percentage that you, your nanny and the government will have to contribute.
|Prior to 6th April 2019||2%||2.4%||0.6%||5%|
|(Present) 6th April 2019 onwards||3%||4%||1%||8%|
The percentage contribution does not have to be paid on the whole salary. It can be paid on something called 'Qualifying Earnings'. Using Qualifying Earnings means that you only pay a pension contribution on part of the gross salary, rather than the whole salary, therefore reducing the amount the employer has to pay.
Input your nanny’s salary into the Nannytax calculator to get pension costs for you.