© Nannytax 2018

We use cookies to ensure that you have the best experience. For more information, please read our cookie policy. By clicking on accept, you are agreeing to our cookie policy.

boy playing i na park with nanny

The government have in place different types of financial support if you have children, here's a quick guide to them.

Child Benefit

Who is entitled?

  • You can get Child Benefit if you’re responsible for a child under 16.

If you or your partner's income is over £50K, you may have to pay a tax charge. If you choose not to get Child Benefit payments, but you should still fill in the claim form because:

  • it will help you towards your State Pension
  • it will ensure your child is registered to get a National Insurance number
bluejigawpieceiStock 512591780
greenjigawpieceiStock 512591780

How much is Child Benefit?

  • Eldest or only child is £20.70/week
  • Additional Children is £13.70/week

How to claim Child Benefit?

Fill in a Child Benefit claim form CH2 and send it to the Child Benefit Office (address below) with your child’s original birth/adoption certificate.

Child Benefit Office (GB)


Newcastle upon Tyne

NE88 1ZD

maroonjigawpieceiStock 512591780
orangejigawpieceiStock 512591780

Working Tax Credit/Child Tax Credit/Universal Credit

Who can claim?

  • You may be able to claim for additional financial support through the Universal Credit/Tax Credits system if you are on a low income or out of work.
  • How much you will get depends on your circumstances, including your income and how many children you have.

What is the difference between Universal Credit & Tax Credits?

  • Universal credit will replace Working Tax Credit and Child Tax credit eventually.
  • You can not claim tax credits and Universal Credit at the same time.
  • At the moment, Universal credit is available in certain areas of the UK only. Click here to find out the areas
lilacjigawpieceiStock 512591780
pinkjigawpieceiStock 512591780

Are you in a Universal credit area?

I am in a Universal Credit Area

If you do live in a universal credit area you can check here whether you are eligible to receive Universal Credit.

I am not in a Universal Credit area

If you do not live in a Universal credit area then you can apply for Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Benefit. Click here to get an estimate of how much you could.


Nannytax Payroll Services

Have a look at our all-inclusive Payroll Service to see how we can help you with the admin involved with hiring a nanny.

Read More

Tax-Free Childcare

Have a look to see if you can get help with your childcare cost from the new government scheme Tax-Free Childcare.

Read More

Registering with Ofsted

Find out more about what is required for your nanny to be Ofsted registered so that you can get help with childcare costs. 

Read More