Registering With Ofsted
Ofsted have set mandatory criteria for Home Childcarers wishing to become registered. Once they have met the requirments, nannies and other Home Childcarers can voluntarily register through the Government Gatewate website.
How to register
- Nannies will need to complete an online application through the Government Gatewate website.
- It costs approximately £105 and needs to be renewed every year.
- Ofsted aims to process applications within 12 weeks.
- Ofsted have set mandatory criteria for Home Childcarers wishing to become registered.
- The applicant must fulfill all of the criteria before applying for Ofsted.
Paediatric First Aid
- Paediatric First Aid training differs from general First Aid training as it deals specifically with infants and children.
- It is an essential skill for anyone working with children.
- It costs appoximatley £80-120, depending on training provider and course.
- The certificate remains vaild for 3 years.
- Once the cetficate expires a refresher course must be undertaken.
The Common Core Skills and Knowledge in Childcare
- This usually applies to a nanny who is relatively new to childcare and has had no formal training. There are various nanny training organisations around the country offering one-day courses.
- It costs appoximatley £50-150, depending on training provider and course.
Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- This is a police and criminal records check which must be carried out to ensure the individual is safe to work with vulnerable members of society.
- The DBS replaced the former Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) in December 2012.
- It costs appoximatley £50-£60
- A new check must be carried out every year
Public Liability Insurance
- It costs appoximatley £60-£80
- Public Liability Insurance provides essential cover for the nanny should anything happens to the children while they are in their care that they could be held responsible for